Thursday 10 January 2013

How Bad Is the Cholesterol in Shrimp?



 

If you are a lover of prawns like myself, you may not be happy with the news I am about to bring, that is only if you dont know already. During one of my christmas dinners at my aunts who is very health conscious, I was enjoying my veggies and loving the prawns and talking about how often I cooked them, before she called my attention to the cholestrol levels in them, trust me I took it with a pinch of salt, but since I ve become very keen to learn and accept peoples views, I decided to do a research on it and I was amazed at my discovery, so if your a lover of prawns like me, take it easy this year. Read on!.
How Bad Is the Cholesterol in Shrimp?
You may have heard that shrimp is not a healthy food because of its high cholesterol levels. The good news for shrimp lovers is that while shrimp does have a high level of cholesterol, its many health benefits offset the disadvantages of the cholesterol, according to Michael Mogadam, author of "Every Heart Attack Is Preventable."

Cholesterol in Shrimp

Four ounces of shrimp contain 1 g of fat and 165 g of cholesterol, which is 55 percent of the recommended daily allowance of cholesterol for an adult. However, shrimp are low in saturated fat, according to Dr. Mogadam. Saturated fat is the main culprit for raising LDL, or "bad" cholesterol in the bloodstream. As a result, the high level of dietary cholesterol in shrimp may not be dangerous, because it does not raise the blood cholesterol level as significantly as saturated fat.

Nutritional Benefits of Shrimp

In addition to raising the ratio of good to bad cholesterol, shrimp is also low in saturated fat, and it contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which raise HDL, or "good" cholesterol levels. In addition, omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. Shrimp are also a good source of selenium, iodine, iron, zinc, copper and protein. As a result, shrimp's many health benefits more than offset the cholesterol.

How Often to Eat Shrimp

The American Heart Association recommends eating foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids twice a week, but shrimp may not be a good choice for those servings if you are watching your cholesterol. However, if your cholesterol levels are normal, you can eat shrimp on a weekly basis without affecting your LDL levels enough for concern, states Aggie Casey, author of "Mind Your Heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

People Collector!

If I have not learnt a lot in life, I have learnt that every single thing as well as every single person in our lives, happens for a reason....