Wednesday, 19 December 2018
Thursday, 13 December 2018
- If you say, ’I invite you,’ that means you pay. You may say, ’Let’s go to a restaurant,’ and in this case, everyone pays for themselves. If a man offers to pay for a woman, she can agree.
- Never pay a visit without a calling first. If someone came to see you without warning, you might be wearing a bathrobe and hair curlers! One British lady liked to say that when uninvited guests showed up on her doorstep, she always put shoes on, and grabbed a hat and an umbrella. If she liked the person, she exclaimed, ’I just got home!’ If not, she sighed and said, ’Ah, what a pity, I was just on my way out.’
- Don’t put your phone on the table in public. By doing so, you show how important a role this device plays in your life, how bored you are of what’s happening, and that at any moment you’re ready to stop a useless conversation and once again check your Instagram feed, answer an important call, or try new levels in Angry Birds.
- Don’t invite a girl on a date if you’re going to be texting all the evening.
- A man never carries a woman’s handbag. However, he can take her coat to carry it to the cloakroom.
- If you’re walking along with someone and your companion greets a person you don’t know, you should also greet them.
- Most people believe that the only proper way of eating sushi is using chopsticks. However, this really depends. Men, unlike women, can eat sushi with their hands.
- Your shoes should always be clean.
- Avoid meaningless talk on the phone. If you need someone to talk to, it’s better to meet with them in person.
- If someone offends you, you shouldn’t return the favor or raise your voice to the person who insulted you. Don’t sink to their level. Just smile and leave the ill-mannered company.
- A man should always walk on a woman’s left-hand side. Military men are the only exception, because they should be ready to salute.
- Drivers should remember that puddle-splashing of passers-by is an amoral behavior.
- Nine things should be kept secret: age, wealth, family quarrels, religion, medical problems, love affairs, gifts, honor, and disgrace.
- In the cinema, theatre, or concert hall, you should move to your seat facing those sitting. A man goes first.
- A man should never touch a woman without her permission. This means that it is unacceptable to: hold her hand, touch her during a conversation, and push her or take her hand above the elbow (unless a man is helping her to get into or out of a car, or cross the street).
- If someone calls to you rudely (’You there!’), you shouldn’t answer. Be a model of good etiquette and polite social manners.
- The golden rule when using perfume is moderation. If you can still smell your perfume in the evening, everyone else is already tired of it.
- A well-bred man will always show proper respect to a woman.
- In a woman’s presence, men may only smoke with her permission.
- Whoever you are — a company director, an academician, an elderly woman, or a student — when you enter a room you should be the first person to greet everyone there.
- Respect the privacy of correspondence. Parents shouldn’t read their children’s letters. Couples should show the same respect for each other. Сhecking someone’s pockets in search of love notes, letters, and other things is extremely rude.
- Don’t try to chase fashion. It’s better to wear nice, even if not fashionable, things than look awful in a brand-new suit.
- If you’re forgiven after you’ve apologized, don’t touch the offensive subject again just to say you’re sorry. You should try to avoid such mistakes in the future.
- Avoid laughing and talking too loudly, as well as staring at people — it’s insulting.
- Don’t forget to thank your loved ones, relatives, and friends. They help you not because they have to. It’s their desire. Appreciate them.
Sunday, 9 December 2018
Wednesday, 5 December 2018
Now Peter did not get the funds he needed from the dragons but his parting words were "I am going to go & modify this product because I believe it is going to fill a gap in the market & I know it will be profitable".
Remember Peter is 67! However I saw in this man an indomitable & determined spirit regardless of his age! He got a NO! but he kept moving!!! He was focused!! He was unstoppable!! Regardless of what life throws at you & how unfavourable some outcomes might be, just don't stop! Keep moving! Keep dreaming!
Go take charge of the rest of your week!!
Wednesday, 21 November 2018
Today was one of those tough days for me but as I put on the TV this evening as I got in & tune to BBC, on comes Sandra Cunningham president of the new York stock exchange. Now her profile got me smiling. First she studied engineering at uni, then after sometime in her career, she took out time to go culinary school (interesting right? 😊) before she later became president of NYSE.
But most importantly what got me was her choice of words as she was interviewed & her response style. She got me smiling from ear to ear. Sometimes the question demands a 'right' response not a 'candid' response. Note to self.... Always know the difference! That is wisdom!
Listen to the interview in the link below & see if you can pick out what I mean.... ):
|Photo: Fast company|
Meanwhile shout out to all the women out there who are smashing the glass ceiling! She is the first female president of the NYSE in its 226 years of existence ! So proud!
Quite a while back ago, I read this article which I found quite interesting and I saved it to post at an appropriate time but with all that's been happening, I have not been able to do it. It is by Dr Travis Bradberry & I read via Linked In last year.
I felt like I was practically reading the bible at some point 😃 but come to think of it, the bible is the foundation for success(my opinion) so its not a surprise that a lot of success guidelines are linked back to the bible. The article has been modified slightly by me but nothing has been done to change his views... Hope you learn a thing or two...
Friday, 16 November 2018
Tuesday, 13 November 2018
Monday, 12 November 2018
Monday, 5 November 2018
Thursday, 18 October 2018
I wrote this in reflection of a career decision. I am not someone who loves to remain in my comfort zone but again I love to know all the details before I take a leap which is in its self equally an obstacle to progression.
The word for you today is.. take that leap & have no regrets!
Monday, 15 October 2018
Its as little as your opening remark... start with a 'Thank you' for your feedback... we are sorry you feel this way..... however.... then at this point, you begin with clarification or better still you let the customer/client know you will be looking into the situation.
I am fortunate to seat at the board of a private school and on one day, I received a complaint from a parent & when I called my staff to notify them, they go " These parents' always complain"..... my response was "If we treat every complaint this way, we will never make amends because we are not taking responsibility but we are pushing the blame back to the parents. Our response should be we will look into it, and if we are justified that we are not in the wrong, even then we should still be careful in the response style we choose".
Many businesses struggle with handling complaint/feedback but if a business succeeds in this area, it takes the business to a very strong position with competitors.
So if you are an entrepreneur or thinking of becoming one, make sure you have this sorted!
Sunday, 14 October 2018
Friday, 5 October 2018
|When the path is uphill...walk up the hill!|
Saturday, 29 September 2018
However, I reflect a lot. I get inspiration from just about anything & any situation so at this point, I just started thinking of all the times we run to people for help but these 'go to' people also have flaws, they have hidden battles which we might never know of.
It is also the same with relationships we expect so much from partners both business partners and relationships. We expect them to jump at all our whims & caprices but we forget that these individuals are also flawed & most times equally need rescuing...
Yesterday a much older colleague asked how I was doing & I responded "okay", truth is that yesterday was actually a struggle & I think she could see through it because I am usually buzzing with so much energy and she goes "Elly... just okay"? And I responded "No, I'm a bit below okay" and I told her a concise version of what my triggers at the time were which lasted for about 90secs and afterwards she told me how she was feeling which lasted for about 5mins and as she spoke, she got upset & the tears began to flow from her & I began to encourage her......The irony of life is that I felt, she would be able to say a word or two to me but I ended up being the encourager. When the rescuer needs rescuing I call it...
Bottom line is I've learnt that the holy spirit is the perfect one when it comes to needing a rescue. God sometimes uses people but when our expectations are solely on people, we end up worse off or having a large collection of flawed individuals who make up a larger pity party!
Anyways, I get so much healing from my alone time & I plan to do me this weekend.... my mum has promised to pay for a massage so its looking good already...😀😀
Hope you have a fab weekend..
Tuesday, 25 September 2018
Your perception might be the problem...
Try changing your point of view & see if it makes a difference.
This is not to say you should lose yourself but rather have a holistic approach before jumping into assumptions and making decisions based on just assumptions...
Hoping we all have a fab week
Saturday, 22 September 2018
Wednesday, 29 August 2018
Thursday, 5 July 2018
Thursday, 28 June 2018
As the wise man Solomon wrote many years ago, there is time for everything. You must know when to invest in your career and when to monetize your skills. Getting an extra degree is not a distraction. Getting a certification is not a distraction. Learning something new should never be a distraction. Always make sure you have a strategy with resilience to decouple your future from the decision of any man/woman. Fresh graduates, planning for the deep future may make you look stupid before peers who may not see beyond tomorrow. That first job is not for buying cars and expensive jewelry. It is to re-invest and INSURE your career with skills.
If I have not learnt a lot in life, I have learnt that every single thing as well as every single person in our lives, happens for a reason....
Yesterday I was interviewed for a show, and one of the questions I was asked was what my advise was for anyone trying to start up a busines...
When I was still in the banking sector, I can vividly remember one of the training's I had on managing complaints & customer feedb...
By now if you are an ardent reader of this blog, you must have realized that Ellyeleanor Foundation is our number one charity. This charit...