Wednesday 5 February 2020

The thing 'Argument'

For the past lets say 6 years, I have taken my personal development seriously. And by personal development I do not mean my career, that aspect of my life seems to be going seamlessly hahaha.

By personal development, I am referring to my perception of things, issues & people as well as my approach & response to situations, people & life in general. One of my favourite verses in the bible is Isa 26: 3 which says; "Perfect peace have those who love God & nothing shall make them stumble". To me, peace is most important because it forms the right environment for deep reflection, which most times leads to the right decision being made which is instrumental to success. In order words, I protect my peace with everything I have and I have learnt or rather still learning to trust God.
The question for you now is do you have peace?


Secondly argument is something I do not partake in. Its quite funny coming from a girl who could hold arguments & not let go until she won... But you know what, I realised, arguments are counterproductive because at that point, everyone's ego is acting up & even when the truth stares us in the face, we do not accept it due to pride but carry on arguing. You see why I do not get involved in arguments? When I sense, the ego as well as the environment getting charged, I just back out...
For me, it is not a cowards approach but true wisdom because I tell myself, "I will revisit this topic at a more appropriate time if it is necessary".

Again, people have their idiosyncrasies so it is quite difficult to have them changed via arguments. These mindsets take time to form, give people as well as yourself time to unlearn.

Finally I ask myself, what is the objective of this argument? If it is important, I do not want to ruin my chance at achieving it & if it is not... then why argue??

Few days ago, I had a deep conversation with a friend who means a lot to me and before the conversation, I actually made an audible prayer which was... "Lord give us the grace to listen to understand & not listen just to respond, to put ego aside & be humble enough to accept where we got it wrong" Did that conversation go well? It went fantastic because our hearts were ready & the environment was right. I am not there yet, but I am definitely making progress...
What is your approach to arguments? What areas of your lives are you working on? Are you making progress? Please feel free to share 🙂

3 comments:

  1. Nice write up Elly
    Long time.

    Still got that sparkle I can see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chiedu, long time indeed. My hands have been full but inspiration & writing are things that never go away with me. This year, I will write more than I did last year hahaha.

      The sparkle is from grace & contentment & I'm thankful to God. Hope you're good yourself? Thanks for dropping a line.

      Delete
    2. Nice, never knew u were poetic

      ur number still the same?

      Delete

Featured post

People Collector!

If I have not learnt a lot in life, I have learnt that every single thing as well as every single person in our lives, happens for a reason....