Monday 23 December 2013

The Pursuit Of Pretty Is An Endless One...

I was having a conversation with a friend today, and at some point as it is synonymous with me, I start talking investments and business. For everyone who knows me, it wont take you a century to realise that I am so business savvy lol! And in the conversation I say, "with the way today's woman pursues beauty and fashion, no amount of recession or even depression can affect that industry".

Its mind blowing how much we spend, each day/week/month and even year on the items we feel will make us more acceptable with the norm. And the designer brands are doing a good job of enslaving people into believing that the more of the labels, you have got, the more trendy you are/more fulfilled we will be. I am also a victim here. Theres always a paticular watch we want, particular brands of handbags added to our collection,shoes and dont mention the fake extensions that are now the order of the day. Sorry! Did I say fake?? Its called 100% human hair hahaha.

Dont get me wrong, I strongly believe in looking good but we should know where to draw the line and not cater for only the physical and not our inner self that we become so shallow and repulsive to people the people we meet along the way.

However I really love to read, Amy Chans write ups, and I love the way she bares herself. When I read her write ups, I feel like I am reading mine. Enjoy the post below from her. I just had to share it...


 markus zusak quote

Thousands spent on makeup, hair products and skin treatments later, and I still don’t feel pretty enough. The standard of physical perfection seems to continue getting higher and more unobtainable, meanwhile, in reality, we are faced with never being skinny enough, tanned enough or symmetrical enough. And after my latest look in the mirror criticizing my hair and skin, I realized, this desire to continue improving my physical appearance is an addiction.

The pursuit of pretty is an endless one.

I’m a woman who enjoys fashion, getting dolled up and looking presentable. But the line between the desire to looking put-together and the desire to looking photoshopped is a blurry one. As I’m getting older (and hopefully a little wiser), I’m realising more and more that your looks will fade. And, if you base so much of your worth on your outer appearance, then when gravity eventually has its way with you, you won’t be feeling very good about yourself. Instead of embracing getting older, we fear it and try to hide it based on our current North American perception of beauty.  I’ve realised that instead of obsessing over another superficial way to increase my attactiveness, perhaps its a better investment to think about how I can become more beautiful on the inside – which is 10 times more attractive than the effect that any facial or eyeliner could ever have.

You can fake pretty. But you cannot fake beautiful.

True beauty radiates from within. The glow, the energy that you exude when you’re beautiful on the inside comes from feeling comfortable with yourself, embodying confidence and embracing your self-worth. This beauty only gets better with age. Being pretty, on the other hand, doesn’t last and can be faked easily. Through proper grooming, make-up techniques and Instagram filters, anyone can appear pretty. But that pretty package only depreciates over time –  and it’s not sustainable.


To the women reading this piece, the next time your inner self-critic takes over when you’re looking in the mirror, I challenge you to stop the negative dialogue about your looks. Instead of obsessing over how to become prettier, I encourage you to ask yourself how you can feed your inner beauty. Because when you nourish your soul, educate yourself, live in your essence… you radiate a type of beauty that no model or vixen can compete with. You are beautiful. Remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

People Collector!

If I have not learnt a lot in life, I have learnt that every single thing as well as every single person in our lives, happens for a reason....