Wednesday 5 June 2013

Keep Short Accounts

I always say, life is really simple. And also, its the little things we do that have a huge impact. Sometimes though its really hard. Just two days ago, I needed an email urgently and I called a friend, I believe would have it and I guess he could sense the urgency in my voice when I requested for the email, and after like 10 secs he goes but you should have the email and I responded, if I had the email, why would I call to ask for it? And as I hung up it just made me think how the little things we do sometimes leave a bad taste, and it has made me more tactful in how I deal with people. Sometimes all the arguments and long explanations are not necessary, life is simple and lets keep it that way. However some people are sweet and some our sour, regardless of how they come, patience and love, makes the journey a whole lot easier.
I read this beautiful article from Mary Demuths blog and just had to share. Hope you enjoy it.
short
To keep short accounts helps me to live with joy throughout what would’ve been a haunted day.
What that means (keep short accounts) is to settle issues quickly. In the accounting world, if I spend a little time each week working on reconciling my books, it’s an easy, simple task. However if I wait two months to do so, it becomes a hairdo of a mess. It’s the same in relationships.
Case in point:
Recently hubby snored like crazy, constantly interrupting my sleep. So when he woke, I barked at him, pretty darned angry.
A half hour later, I felt bad about my barking and sent him an apology text.
He received my apology, then apologized for the snoring. And harmony was restored, our relational account balanced.
I can’t tell you how relieved that made me feel, to clear the air before the day commenced. I could’ve let the anger fester, or let him live under my barking. But something down deep niggled me, this haunting that I didn’t want to spend my day with anger between us.
God’s quiet words to me of late are these: Choose people. I’ve let that little sentence frame the way I see others, train me to responsive to their needs, and think of people first before I consider my own needs. It’s made for some humbling, sweet moments of late.
Choosing people means choosing to apologize when we’re crabby. It means valuing the heart of the other, humbling ourselves enough to prove that value, and longing for sweet harmony when discord reigns. And it means keeping short accounts with those we love the most (our families and closest friends).

How About You? How Do You Keep Short Accounts? Why Is It Hard To Apologize? What Does It Mean For You To Choose People TODAY? http://www.marydemuth.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

People Collector!

If I have not learnt a lot in life, I have learnt that every single thing as well as every single person in our lives, happens for a reason....