Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Brevity Of Life

On my way to work two days ago, the traffic was terrible, it was in fact chock-a-block and the cars were actually at a halt for what seemed to look like hours on end, and at this point, passengers began to alight from the buses and it seemed to be like there was a charity walk, as there were more pedestrians than cars.
On inquiry however, we were told there was an accident. After about 45 mins of arriving at work however, the police was in my office. Apparently it was a tragic incident and the man involved was going to be dead in a matter of minutes, he was actually a cyclist hit by a vehicle and at that point he was already brain dead and they couldn't find anything on him to enable them contact his family. The only link was a card found on him for the company I work for, and they were there to find out if we could give them more information about the man so that his family could see him before the life support machine was finally switched off. The man in question was just 42 years of age.

This was a regular monday for this man, going about his regular business, possibly using the regular route and cycling pass the familiar neighbourhood  but it was indeed a different one and was going to be his last.
As I sat on my desk and empathized with his family I had not seen, I couldnt help but wonder what that morning had been like in his household, if he had an argument with his wife, or if they had made great plans for the weekend or booked the family holidays, or promised to pick the kids from school and the entire situation made me realise again that death is inevitable and once breath seizes, nothing else matters.

The bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:2 that death is the destiny of every man, however at our demise, what footprint will we leave on the people who knew us, as friends, family, colleagues, neighbours, acquaintances etc???




No day is guaranteed, death is inevitable but however we pray for longevity but in the midst of life and all its frenzy its easy to forget the imminent. The bible in Proverbs 16:1 says "To man belongs the plans of his heart but the reply thereof is from God".
As I write, the question that boggles my mind is that. if today were to be my last, what will I do differently, say differently, which peace truce will I want permanently, which love will I give/show freely, who will I support financially, what grudge will I let go of quickly and most especially how will my perception of life change?
The bible says after death comes judgment! Are we ready to face the Man who has given all for us and calls us to live our lives in the light of His love and word?
                                                           *THINK LONGTERM*

1 comment:

Featured post

People Collector!

If I have not learnt a lot in life, I have learnt that every single thing as well as every single person in our lives, happens for a reason....