Wednesday 3 April 2013

Developing Intimacy

 
Christianity has become quite  a bit complicated I would say as a result of doctrines, politics and men trying to please there sinful lustful desires and bring in things to this religion that are not meant to be there. I get asked many times if I am catholic, church of England, Anglican etc. And most of the time, I say I am Christian and most times a lot of individuals get confused and say but I thought you are either catholic, church of England etc and I end up saying I am Pentecostal. But you know what, I have got a couple muslim friends and once your muslim, your muslim, just one word 'MUSLIM' QED. Most times it ends up being a battle of supremacy between the various denominations with people being bound by ever changing church doctrines. The time however has come for anyone who wants to be close to God to draw near to God and damn vain fables.

Regardless of who we are most times if we are really serious to have a relationship with God and with the right motives God reveals himself to us. I read this book "I Dared To Call Him Father" by Bilquis sheikh and I cant forget  how she narrated her encounter with God.

 I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God
 God is not as He is presented most of the time, as an insensitive dictator, who punishes us once we go against the rules but s a Father who is compassionate slow to anger and plenteous in mercy.
The easiest way to know God is through His words in which His ways and acts are revealed to us.
If your starting out with the bible, I would advise you start out with short verses and  as you read personalise the verses because you know what? It is the mind of God made flesh, its not just for the people of the stone age, but its as relevant to us just as it was of relevance to them.

Today as I journeyed to work, I read my bible from my mobile device and as I came to this verse Isaiah 45:2" I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron":  I stopped and prayed with it. Did you hear me say on my way to work? Yes! prayer should not be limited to a 2 minutes microwave hurried morning prayer when all we can do is think of running late to work or a mumbled prayer as we sleep off o the sofa watching telly at night. The bible says pray always. "Men ought always to pray and not faint".  Remember the verse? You also see that I did not adopt any particular posture, that is all doctrines of men, God sees the heart and weighs the intention.

 Now on personalising, your prayer, I will share with you how I prayed  Isa 45;2--
"Father I thank you for your loving kindness and your faithfulness that are forever sure and they are new every morning. Its your mercy that has kept me and your grace that has uplifted me, because of my own I can do nothing. Lord if you had not been by side, fought all my battles, comforted me in my affliction and made a way even when I was filled with my own ways, maybe by now I would have gone bonkers. Father I lay my life and everything I am before you and I pray that you go ahead of me and make every crooked way in my life straight be it self made or planned by others. Every impossibility in my path of living to fulfilment in every area of my life, be it gates of brass to my destiny may they be broken and every bar of iron that has locked my mentality,  may it be cut asunder.
It is well with me, it is well with my destiny, I am blessed and not just blessed, but 'A Blessing' to my generation. Thank you Dad!

Prayer really does become easier/more interesting/ and more personalised when we deepen our relationship with God. You must not adopt the prayer of any man, don't get me wrong, sometimes we need guidance but guide it should be and not rules for living/prayer.   

Life is too big, to be ventured alone, get to know the One who has seen it all, knows it all, and can do it all.
                                                                  *THINK LONGTERM*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

People Collector!

If I have not learnt a lot in life, I have learnt that every single thing as well as every single person in our lives, happens for a reason....